Fables Press Kit
Company Name: Fables Books
Company Category: Retail, used and new books and gifts, Bookstore
Established: April 2019
Opened: July 16th, 2019
Store location: 215 S. Main Street, Goshen, IN 46526
Owner/Operators: Veronica Berkey, Kristin Saner, Brad Weirich, Mark Saner, Gary Berkey
With the abrupt closure of Better World Books, several local community members moved quickly from shock to action. Within 72 hours after the closure was announced, Jenny Frech and Brad Weirich, had a plan on the back of a napkin for a new bookstore.
As the planning process continued, team members were added: Veronica Berkey, Kristin Saner, Jenny Frech, Brad Weirich, Mark Saner, and Jeremy Friesen. After the initial start-up work was finished, Jenny Frech and Jeremy Friesen stepped away to focus on other pursuits and Gary Berkey joined the team.
The team is strong and brings retail and book experience to the endeavor. Weirich and Berkey were instrumental in setting up and running the initial Better World Books store. Kristin Saner worked at Better World Books as an assistant manager. They all call Goshen home.
The new bookstore, Fables Books, is located on Main Street in the same location as the former Better World Books. Gently used books donations are accepted and make up a good portion of Fables Inventory.
The new bookstore focus is on high quality used and new books, literary gifts, stationery, and apparel. Used books will be the primary category and will mirror what Goshen’s reading. The bookstore will be a reflection of the community.
The name, Fables Books, was chosen to represent what stories mean to the community. Everyone, young and old, from any country, any religious background, is familiar with the stories we tell through fables. Shared stories bring the community closer together.
Fables Books opens July 16th, 2019. For more details, follow Fables Books on Instagram @fablesbooks and Facebook, visit their website to sign up for emails and for more details on how to be a part of the exciting new venture for downtown.
- This group of business owners and supporters started within hours of the previous bookstore closing.
- The business is located at 215 S. Main Street.
- The store sells a combination of used and new books, and literary gifts.
- Three people with previous bookstore management experience.
- Bookstores are an anchor to a vibrant community and we believe this at our core.
- Independently owned bookstores are agile and can respond to the needs of the community.
- This bookstore started from scratch.
- Donations of gently used books are accepted.