Supporting Local During Covid-19
For the past two to three weeks, the COVID-19 outbreak has impacted every part of our daily lives. From work to school to our shopping habits, we are all adopting new ways of interacting and living. Just as COVID-19 impacts our daily lives, COVID-19 profoundly impacts Fables Books and all the other Goshen small businesses. Now more than ever, these stores, restaurants, businesses, and business owners need our support - need your support.
Here are six easy ways to support Goshen’s small businesses:
1) Buy gift cards — Buying gift cards gives a small business a cash infusion now to make it through hard times. Plus, it makes a perfect gift for you or a friend later. Visit cityonthego.org to participate in the Virtual April 1st Friday’s Spring into Action Gift Certificate Sale on April 3rd,2020.
2) Order Takeout - Why not take a break from eating whatever is in the refrigerator, and order out? While many bars and restaurants are closed, some are still operating as takeout only. Reach out to your favorite to see how they are working. Again, you are practicing social distancing, taking a break from leftovers, and offering some revenue to our local eateries who needs it.
3) Reschedule Your Appointments Instead of Cancelling- One of the ways you can maintain positivity is by rescheduling any appointments you have instead of canceling. We may have no idea how long this situation will last, but postponing an appointment lets that small business know that they still have customers who are ready to jump back into their regular routines once this situation ends.
4) Select Local Businesses for Your Needs in Quarantine- When you need to replenish items like activities or games for children, educational resources, books, cleaning supplies, and even groceries, check with local businesses first. Several local businesses offer ordering on their websites. Here is a list of some of the Downtown Goshen’s business websites postin in the DGI Come Together, Goshen Facebook Event. Be sure to reach out to your favorites for more details.
- Common Spirits | commonspirits.com
- Constant Spring | aconstantspring.com
- The Electric Brew | theelectricbrew.com
- Fables Books | fablesbooks.com
- Found | foundgoshen.com
- Giving Tree Massage | givingtreemassage.com
- Goshen Brewing Company | goshenbrewing.com
- The Imagination Spot | theimaginationspot.com
- The Nut Shoppe | thenutshoppechocolates.com
- Rêverie~Yarn, Décor & Gifts | reverieyarn.com
- Salon J | salonjgoshen.com
- Shirley’s Gourmet Popcorn - Goshen | shirleyspopcorn.com/location/shirleys-gourmet-popcorn-company-goshen-indiana
- Sorg Jewelers Goshen | sorgjewelers.com
- Spacious Heart Yoga | spaciousheartyoga.com
- Ten Thousand Villages Goshen | tenthousandvillages.com/goshen
- Woldruff’s Footwear - Downtown Goshen | woldruffsfootwear.com
- Pizzeria Venturi | eatventuri.com
5) Market for the business — We each have our own in-person and virtual communities of influence, and now is the time to utilize them. Tell your friends, colleagues, family, and neighbors who to support and be vocal about it. Follow your favorite businesses’ social media accounts. Write reviews on Google, Yelp, Facebook, etc. Share, share, share: be sure to share your favorite posts and spread the word about what your favorite businesses are doing and offering during this time.
6) Say thanks — Write a card, order flowers (which helps the flower shop) or make a sizable tip to the owners and workers in our community. The stress and obligation owners feel to provide for their employees, and customers is palpable. Simply saying thank you goes a long way to brightening someone’s day.
Part of what we love about being part of Downtown Goshen is being part of a wonderful business community that collaborates, supports, and celebrates together. We are all in this together, and together we will see the other side.